Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Where everybody knows your name

I haven't been playing much pool since I started graduate school. No tournaments, no league. Just a very occasional practice session, probably less than once a month.

A couple of weeks ago, I was starting to drive home from a birthday party for a young friend, when it occurred to me that I was in the neighborhood of my former team's league match, the last one of the session. I turned in that direction to pop my head in, and that was a really good move.

It was a Cheers moment. Everyone was surprised and apparently happy to see me, even our opponents. I had a few animated conversations, and got to watch Bubba close out his match with a win. When the opposition, short a player, forfeited the final match, the table opened up and I got right on. Greg bought me a beer and I started winning games, rooted on by the gang.

Eventually I got knocked off the table, and it wasn't too long before it was time to head home, but it had been a thoroughly good time from start to finish. It was nice to remember the things I liked about pool night.

It remains to be seen how school will affect my schedule, and whether I'll be able to play league again, or jump into more tournaments. But regardless, I can expect to play more, because we're going to be getting a pool table in our new office, which we'll be moving into at the end of the month. You can pretty well count on seeing me there...

No comments:

Post a Comment